Seg Fault

a blog thing?

Riak/Riak Search: Setting bucket props and custom extractors

13 Oct 2010


That’s a long title for a blog post, but it describes both of two topics I want to write a quick post about when I was tinkering with Riak Search today.

I was working on setting up some Basho Bench tests to check the performance of indexing with Riak Search, where the data inserted into the Riak bucket was a JSON object encoded using the mochijson module. After setting up my bucket indexing schema (see the schema section in the Riak Search wiki page), I kept getting an error saying that my default value, id_num was not set. I guessed it was not not extracting correctly for some reason (probably my own fault!) so I decided to take the opportunity to create a simple custom extractor.

So, first thing first, according to the Riak wiki, a custom extractor using an Erlang module and function (which is what I wanted to use), should return a list of tuples in the format:

  {<<"key1">>, <<"value1">>},
  {<<"key2">>, <<"value2">>}

How convenient! This is the exact format you get back when you parse JSON objects with mochijson. A custom extractor will also be useful if I need to play with the data a little before it gets inserted as an index.

The code I am using as a custom extractor for my particular test data is quite simple:



extractme(Robj, Args) ->
  {struct, Val} = mochijson2:decode(riak_object:get_value(Robj)),

The custom extractor needs to take two parameters, the first being the Riak object (from riak_object in riak_kv) and a list of arguments. I don’t really care about the arguments for this particular test, so I just toss them aside. All I’m doing in this code is decoding with mochijson2, and returning the list of tuples. Done.

Next, also from the Riak wiki, the Indexing and Querying Riak KV Data page states that to add a custom extractor you should change the bucket properties for the indexed bucket. Because I want to use the {modfun, Module, Function} type extractor, I set the ‘rs_extractfun’ property on the bucket by doing the following from the riaksearch console:

First, attach to the console:

bin/riaksearch attach

Next, get a local riak_client connection to the node:

(rs1@> {ok, Client} = riak:local_client().

Finally, set the bucket properties:

Client:set_bucket(<<"testbucket">>, [{rs_extractfun, { modfun, custom_extractor, extractme }}]).

Done, index away!